Re: Autovacuum Improvements

From: Matthew O'Connor <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2006-12-19 22:34:10
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Matthew O'Connor wrote:
>> Glen Parker wrote:
>>> 5) Expose a very easy way to discover autovacuum's opinion about a
>>> particular table, for example "table_needs_vacuum(oid)", ignoring any
>>> time constraints that may be in place.
>> This might be a nice feature however in the presence of the much talked
>> about but not yet developed maintenance window concept, I'm not sure how
>> this should work. That is, during business hours the table doesn't
>> need vacuuming, but it will when the evening maintenance window opens up.
>
> I intend to work on the maintenance window idea for 8.3. I'm not sure
> if I'll be able to introduce the worker process stuff in there as well.
> I actually haven't done much design on the stuff so I can't say.
>
> Now, if you (Matthew, or Glen as well!) were to work on that it'll be
> appreciated ;-) and we could team up.

I would like to get back into working on autovacuum, outside of
discussions on the lists I haven't done anything since you took it from
contrib. Anyway I am interested in helping if I can find the time but
there is no chance of that happening in the next few weeks, but maybe in
January.

I think another thing to consider are good default values for the
autovacuum vacuum delay settings. We talked about this a while ago, but
I don't think we ever settled on anything.