Re: [PERFORM] Locking in PostgreSQL?

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Jens Schipkowski <jens(dot)schipkowski(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at>, Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Locking in PostgreSQL?
Date: 2006-12-06 13:42:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Hi,

Dave Cramer wrote:
> Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then....

Probably not. You are both somewhat right.

Jens Schipkowski wrote:
>> Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows
>> matching the WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.

That almost right, RowExclusiveLock is a table level lock. An UPDATE
acquires that, yes. Additionally there are row-level locks, which is
what you're speaking about. An UPDATE gets an exclusive row-level lock
on rows it updates.

Please note however, that these row-level locks only block concurrent
writers, not readers (MVCC lets the readers see the old, unmodified row).

> My understanding
> is that unless you do a select ... for update then update the rows will
> not be locked.

Also almost right, depending on what you mean by 'locked'. A plain
SELECT acquires an ACCESS SHARE lock on the table, but no row-level
locks. Only a SELECT ... FOR UPDATE does row-level locking (shared ones
here...)

The very fine documentation covers that in [1].

Regards

Markus

[1]: PostgreSQL Documentation, Explicit Locking:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/explicit-locking.html