Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-22 18:58:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>

>>> However, there may not be nifty syntax changes nor GUCs in core to
>>> support a specific implementation of a replicator.
>>>
>> I'd love to get into that one. Some of the people who have attended my
>> talk at the summit might know that I've introduced the following syntax
>> to Postgres-R:
>>
>> ALTER DATABASE testdb START REPLICATION IN GROUP testgroup USING egcs;
>>
>> And I'm using the system catalogs to store replication settings. What's
>> so wrong with that?
>>

> I don't know if there's anything wrong, but in Mammoth Replicator, the
> syntax to enable replication of a single table is
>
> ALTER TABLE foo ENABLE REPLICATION
>
> and we store the replication settings in system catalogs as well.

Wasn't there supposed to be some discussion among replication authors to
try to come up with at least some common hooks?

If everybody invents their own grammar, GUC vars, etc. etc. it will be
impossible to handle down the track. We'd be faced with a choice of
never having any replication in core, or picking one and leaving the
others out in the cold. This is supposed to be a *community*.

cheers

andrew