Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB

From: "Wm(dot)A(dot)Stafford" <stafford(at)marine(dot)rutgers(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB
Date: 2006-11-17 20:46:23
Lists: pgsql-general

We are having trouble coming up with a column separator for the Oracle
data that is being imported into our PostgreSQL DB. We are using
Fastreader to dump Oracle tables. We then use PostgreSQL copy to load
the table data into PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, some of the Oracle data
contains every ASCII printable character so we have to dump it with a
non-printing character as the column separator We can not figure out
how to specify a non-printing character for the delimiter in the
PostgreSQL copy command. If we use '\x05' as suggested by the
Fastreader User guide. PostgreSQL complains "ERROR: COPY delimiter
must be a single character".

-=bill stafford