Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978(at)infinito(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cannot connect anymore from a remote host
Date: 2006-11-09 15:01:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> after a crash of my machine I restarted the pgsql as usual, and I can connect
> from the machine itself, but no more from a remote host. I checked the
> pg_hba.conf file and it's ok, but either from psql or pgadmin I cannot
> connect to the host. Nmapping my host I cannot see the daemon listening on
> the port 5342.
> I've started the daemon as:
> postmaster -D /mnt/data/database &

Is that how you normally start your DB server? Not via pg_ctl or your
system startup scripts?

> and my pg_hba.conf gile contains:

If you say it's not listening on port 5432 then the pg_hba.conf doesn't
matter. Check your postgresql.conf for valid settings on
listen_addresses and port.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

Once it's listening on the right port, then look at your pg_hba.conf
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd