database dump then restore on another system?

From: Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: database dump then restore on another system?
Date: 2006-11-09 13:54:20
Lists: pgsql-general

To date I have always used pg on a system where I had pg superuser status.
I'm trying to move a database from such a system to one where I am just
a user, and I'm having a couple of problems.

The first is, the output of pg_dump has a lot of lines like:

ALTER FUNCTION some_function OWNER TO rick;

The user 'rick' does not exist on the target system. I've looked at the
help for pg_dump...it looks like specifying "no-owner" will skip these
lines. Are there any side effects I need to be aware of?

The second problem is the statement:

CREATE PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Apparently I need to be a pg superuser to do this? Do I need to get the
db admin to run this statement before I load the database? What if,
during testing, I need to drop/create the database? Do I need the admin
to run something every time?