Re: Table and Field namestyle best practices?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Table and Field namestyle best practices?
Date: 2006-11-08 19:37:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure wrote:
> looks much better than OrgID. I suggest not prefixing tables with
> 'tbl', but idx_ for indexes and fk_ for foreign keys is ok.

I've recently gotten into the habit of naming my indexes after
exactly what they index. For example:
create index "foo(x,y,z)" on foo(x,y,z);
and
CREATE INDEX "tbl using gist(text_search_vec)" on tbl using gist(text_search_vec);

It's just as obvious as prefixing them with "idx_" and makes
EXPLAIN output a bit quicker for me to understand.