Create View

From: Mark Simon <mark(at)manngo(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Create View
Date: 2006-11-05 06:17:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

I don't know whether this is a simple one that has been dealt with
before, but if so, I haven't worked out the right question to search on.

If I create a view thus:

create view things as select * from whatever;

and then examine my saved view, I find a list of all of the fields from
whatever. I thought it should be possible to save the star (*) as part
of the view. Otherwise, I run into the problem of not getting all of the
fields if I add columns to the table (whatever).

Is this an SQL thing or a PostGreSQL thing?

Thanks,

Mark

--

Mark Simon

Manngo Net Pty Ltd

Phone/Fax: 1300 726 000
mobile: 0411 246 672

email: mark(at)manngo(dot)net <mailto:mark(at)comparity(dot)net>
web: http://www.manngo.net

Resume: http://mark.manngo.net