Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: novnov <novnovice(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does pgAdmin have to double-quote table and
Date: 2006-11-04 19:10:55
Lists: pgadmin-support

novnov wrote:
> As far as I can tell pgsql itself does not require table and field names to
> be wrapped in double quotes, but pgAdmin does that by default (at least on
> windows).

PostgreSQL does require you to use double quotes in some circumstances
(for example, if you use upper case letters). pgAdmin automatically
quotes identifiers if you use a name that requires them.

> What's the rationale? I've not found a way to turn this off in
> pgAdmin, is there a way, is it safe to do this?

No, you cannot turn it off, and yes, it is safe as long as you remember
to quote things appropriately outside of pgAdmin. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS
for more info.

> It's a very nice package, btw, thanks to all of the contributors.

You're welcome.

Regards, Dave