Re: Weird double single quote issue

From: Peter <peter(at)greatnowhere(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird double single quote issue
Date: 2006-11-03 09:51:46
Lists: pgsql-general

>> 2. No. In fact I can replicate the problem on the same computer using
>> PgAdmin (connecting as two different users)
>> 3. I can isolate the part but it does not help much. I'm even doing
>> RAISE NOTICE and printing out the actual SQL statement that is being
>> executed... and it's IDENTICAL for both users yet returns different
>> values. Executing exactly the same SQL statement from commandline
>> produces identical results for both users.
>>

> It's really pretty hard to believe that the same function would work
> differently for two different users. I'm wondering if maybe the two
> users aren't executing the same function --- perhaps not the specific
> one you are looking at, but some other one it depends on. Do the
> users have different search_path settings?

I totally follow you. It really is hard to believe that the same code
can be executed differently for different users. I did double-check that
db is the same, and the actual proc being executed is the same. There
are no significant dependencies to speak of... I did full trace (via
RAISE NOTICE calls) and the SQL string being executed was exactly the
same for both users, and did not involve calls to user-defined funcs.

We upgraded to 8.1.4 overnight, and I rewrote my code to use
quote_literal() function, and that seems to have helped - at least
results are now consistent across users. I still have no idea what was
the cause, but it was definitely there....

Peter