Re: Coding style question

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Coding style question
Date: 2006-11-02 19:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark wrote:
> <korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>

>> I would probably write that as:

>> static TransactionId
>> _bt_check_unique(Relation rel, IndexTuple itup, Relation heapRel,
>> Buffer buf, ScanKey itup_scankey)
>> {
>> TupleDesc itupdesc = RelationGetDescr(rel);
>> int natts = rel->rd_rel->relnatts;
>> Page page = BufferGetPage(buf);
>> OffsetNumber maxoff = PageGetMaxOffsetNumber(page);
>> BTPageOpaque opaque = (BTPageOpaque) PageGetSpecialPointer(page);
>> OffsetNumber offset = _bt_binsrch(rel, buf, natts, itup_scankey, false);
>> Buffer nbuf = InvalidBuffer;
>>

> The disadvantage of using initializers is that you end up contorting the code
> to allow you to squeeze things into the initializers and it limits what you
> can do later to the code without undoing them.

True. And in any case, we tend not to be terrribly anal about style
preferences, especially if they are not documented.

I am sure I have done lots of things in ways other people would not
dream of, and I have certainly seen code done in a style I would never use.

This is a not atypical situation for open source projects, unlike
commercial situations where it is easier to enforce a corporate style.

cheers

andrew