Re: Seqno. is not btree?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Anagha Joshi" <ajoshi(at)nulinkinc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seqno. is not btree?
Date: 2003-06-30 14:26:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Anagha Joshi" <ajoshi(at)nulinkinc(dot)com> writes:
> After as many as 2412081 records are inserted, I shutdown my server.

> Next day,I tried the following:
> test=3D# select count(*) from vchar;
> count
> -------
> 2568
> (1 row)
> test=3D# insert into vchar (col_var) values ('VV');
> ERROR: Index vchar_seqno_key is not a btree

It sounds to me like you've got serious disk problems --- losing a
couple hundred thousand rows is not normal :-(. The index complaint
also suggests on-disk corruption --- it means that the btree version
information that's stored in the first page of a btree index wasn't
right.

How exactly did you "shut down the server"? Have you noticed any other
evidence of disk problems, outside Postgres?