Re: PostgreSQL

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: christoph(dot)mueller(at)crixp(dot)com, werner(dot)froidevaux(at)crixp(dot)com, dmueller(at)omex(dot)ch, guenter(dot)kempter(at)omex(dot)ch, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-10-07 23:18:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently reviewed your FAQ on OpenCRX and was surprised to see your
> comment on PostgreSQL:
>
> Please note that we do not recommend PostgreSQL for production use.
> While PostgreSQL may be fine for many settings this DBMS simply does not
> deliver the performance required for openCRX (PostgreSQL takes
> minutes/hours to calculate 3-table-joins even for small data sets).
>
> Frankly, I am stunned. I have PostgreSQL in production in everything
> from Financial industries to large scale collaborative environments.
>
> Perhaps there is something incorrect with your setting? I would be happy
> to help you optimize your testing so that you can represent PostgreSQL
> properly.

The installation instruction describes very precisely how to modify
pg_hba.conf and all other steps, but not a single word about
postgresql.conf, how to adjust pgsql buffers or setting up vacuum. I
suspect they're running the default minimal configuration, without
vacuum, i.e. the typical pitfall.

Regards,
Andreas