Re: Unsubscribe

From: Nolan Cafferky <Nolan(dot)Cafferky(at)rbsinteractive(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2006-10-04 15:47:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

This seems to be the nearly unanimous response to people posting an
unsubscribe request to the postgres mailing lists. I emphatically agree
with the argument - people should know better than that, and the
information included in the e-mail headers should be more than
sufficient. Every conceivable avenue of discovering how to unsubscribe,
other than the list software attaching a footer on each e-mail, is
available to pursue.

I also don't care about that argument in this situation. People
ignorantly posting an unsubscribe to the list get this kind of response
because it's an annoyance to the list users, not necessarily because we
care about educating that particular person. The posts obviously don't
help future unsubscribers who aren't willing to track the information
down anyway. We should be addressing this from the standpoint of what
benefits long-term list users the most. The real question is: which is
more annoying to list users, the occasional unsubscribe posted to the
list (with accompanying responses), or a one-line footer on each post
providing a link to unsubscribe instructions?

--
Nolan Cafferky
Software Developer