Re: pgbench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Giuseppe Broccolo <giuseppe(dot)broccolo(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench
Date: 2013-10-03 16:55:28
Lists: pgsql-general

> Multiline SQL commands are not supported? Well that sucks, because only
> BUFSIZ chars are read from each line. In my platform that's 8192, but
> maybe in Sime's case it's shorter .. or maybe his query really is
> longer than 8192 bytes.

> This smells like a pgbench bug to me.

Yeah, I ran into that line-length limit in pgbench a couple months ago.
We really oughta remove the restriction; seems like that shouldn't be
hard.

I'm less enthused about introducing a multiline-command feature; that'd
require inventing some escape syntax that's not there now, and making it
100% backwards compatible might be hard.