[Pljava-dev] VarLenTuple example code

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] VarLenTuple example code
Date: 2006-09-29 14:06:01
Lists: pljava-dev

Hi Markus,
OK, now I think I finally understand what it is you are trying to hammer
through my thick skull :-)

You are saying that two mechanisms are not enough. We need:

The text (canonical) to disc conversion (the current input/output)
The external binary (canonical) format (used in various protocols) to
disc conversion (the send/receive).
A way to create Java objects from canonical binary format.
A way to create the canonical binary format from Java objects.

Then it all falls into place. This is what I think needs to be done:

1. We need two new methods. One that does the C -> B conversion and one
that does the B -> C. I.e. verbatim Java implementations of the
send/receive. Those methods should be static since this is a byte[] to
byte[] conversion only.
2. The readSQL methods should be called with an SQLInput that wraps the
output of the C -> B converter.
3. The data written by the writeSQL method should be passed to the B ->
C converter.

And of course, Java really comes into play when a COPY is performed
since the B -> C and C ->B must be executed.

Sorry for being so thick-headed.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren