Re: format_datum debugging function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: format_datum debugging function
Date: 2024-08-15 14:05:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> On 14.08.24 17:46, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
>> Are you doing something to get macro expansion? I've never gotten my gdb
>> to see #defines, although in theory this configure line should do it,
>> right?:

> Oh I see, you don't have the F_* constants available then. Maybe just
> put in the OID manually then?

That's pretty illegible and error-prone. I agree that writing the
output function's C name is noticeably better. However, I would
call the result DirectOutputFunctionCall and put it near
OidOutputFunctionCall in fmgr.c. It's not like we don't already
have a naming convention and many instances of this.

(Also, now that I look at the code, I wonder why it looks so
little like any of the existing DirectFunctionCall functions.)