Re: pg_dump weirdness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com" <michaeldba(at)sqlexec(dot)com>
Cc: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump weirdness
Date: 2021-11-06 00:47:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

"MichaelDBA(at)sqlexec(dot)com" <michaeldba(at)sqlexec(dot)com> writes:
> You cannot use a newer version of pgdump to export and then insert it into an older version of PostgreSQL if I am understanding you correctly.

Well, you can try. You might get errors from DDL syntax the older server
doesn't understand, but usually that won't happen if the dump is taken
from a server of that vintage or older. We don't promise anything, but
I'd expect it to usually work.

I'm a little suspicious of the OP's claim that there were only warnings
and not errors while trying to restore the dump -- an error would go a
long way towards explaining the report. In any case, we'd need to see
all those warnings to have much chance of diagnosing this.