Re: BUG #17777: An assert failed in nodeWindowAgg.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: xinwen(at)stu(dot)scu(dot)edu(dot)cn, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17777: An assert failed in nodeWindowAgg.c
Date: 2023-02-11 01:08:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I think we could just add a !contain_subplans() to the code deciding whether
> it's safe to use the movable window optimization?

Yeah, perhaps. That doesn't seem like a mainstream use-case either.

Another idea, tying into your previous point, is to try to check
contain_volatile_functions in the planner before we've reduced
sublinks to subplans. I'm not sure that would be convenient to do
though; subplan-conversion happens pretty early.

(I'm quite hesitant to move the goalposts on what
contain_volatile_functions detects. As that comment indicates,
some thought has gone into its current behavior, and I think
we might hit some unwanted side-effects if we change it.)