Re: Encryption in pg_dump

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Encryption in pg_dump
Date: 2020-07-23 14:30:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 7/23/20 8:52 AM, Scott Ribe wrote:
>> On Jul 22, 2020, at 11:29 PM, vinod kale <vinod16895(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually our requirement is neither any of the data in readable format on server.
> Sounds like you need encryption at the disk or volume level.

Volume encryption only protects against stolen disks, which is... highly
unlikely.  (The only scenarios I can think of are USB drives which get lost
in transit -- think "station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway
-- and law enforcement seizing the computers.)

TDE, though, protects against hackers who break in and try to slurp out as
much data as possible.  Still pretty unlikely, but within the realm of reason.