Re: Aggregates with internal state type?

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL SQL List <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Aggregates with internal state type?
Date: 2006-09-13 21:44:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi, Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Ah, I see. So there's no possibility to pass some void* kind of
>> intermediate data, I have to craft at least a dummy PostgreSQL datatype
>> for it.
>
> Right. My first thought would be to use bytea as the declared type ---
> doesn't put much burden on you except to have a length word at the front.

Yes, that will work for C, and I'll have a look into it. Good idea.

I had the secret hope that I'd come up with a scheme that also works
using pljava, avoiding the serialization and reserialization of java
objects. But I'm afraid that this gets more difficult.

Markus
Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS

www.nosoftwarepatents.org