Re: Two optimization questions

From: Mezei Zoltán <mezei(dot)zoltan(at)telefor(dot)hu>
To: Aaron Bono <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two optimization questions
Date: 2006-09-12 19:06:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Aaron Bono wrote:
> You could split it into sub-queries but would that make the
> performance better or worse? I guess it depends on how much data is
> there, and what frequency you have ot the event_type's but indexing
> the event_type column would help. This may be worth a try - use
> EXPLAIN to see which is better.

Yep, I tought of that, but the solution with having is faster now. I
think it is because about 30% of the rows are selected in the subquery
now. Later we will have more records, and the subselect should select
only about 1-2% of the rows. At that time, I think your solution will be
faster.

> Questions like this come up frequently and there are some nice solutions:
>
> See if this gives you some insight:
>
> select
> '2006-01-15'::date + s.inc
> from
> generate_series(0, ('2006-02-20'::date -
> '2006-01-15'::date)::integer) as s(inc)
Sup, that's just what I needed. Thank you.

Zizi