Re: postgresql shared buffers

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Praveen Kumar N <praveen_n(at)students(dot)iiit(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql shared buffers
Date: 2006-09-08 14:22:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Praveen Kumar N wrote:

> Following is the output of query i have executed.

Looks like Alvaro guessed right. It reads both relations in sequence,
sorts them in temporary storage, outside bufmgr, and then does a merge
join on the sorted inputs.

If you want to see the behavior you expected, I think you need to define
indexes on a2 and b2, if you don't have them already, and coerce the
planner to choose a nested loop join. I'd suggest using "SET
enable_seqscan=false; SET enable_bitmapscan=false;" and see if that gets
you a nested loop join.

--
Heikki Linnakangas