Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 14:43:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 09/14/2018 07:36 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM, James Keener <jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com
> <mailto:jim(at)jimkeener(dot)com>> wrote:
>

> Now, you may say that (2) would be rejected by the
> committee, but I would
> counter that it's still a stain on me and something that
> will forever appear
> along side my name in search results and that the amount
> of time and
> stress it'd take me to defend myself would make my
> voluntarily leaving
> the community, which would be seen as an admission of
> guilt, my only
> option.
>

> If you had read the policy, you would know that wouldn't
> happen as reports and details of reports are to be kept
> confidential.
>

> That doesn't mean I won't be strung along and it doesn't mean that
> the attacker can't release those details. Remember, I'm worried
> about politically motivated attacks, and attacks meant to silence
> opposing viewpoints, not legitimate instances of harassment.
>

> Sure, but an attacker can do that now. Having the CoC doesn't change
> anything there, though it does give us a framework to deal with it.
>

> People are shitheads. People are assholes. We're not
> agreeing to join
> some organization and sign an ethics clause when signing
> up for the mailing
> list.  The current moderators can already remove bad
> actors from the list.
> How they act outside of the list is non of this list's
> concern.
>

> The lists are just one of many different ways people in this
> community interact.
>

> So? We interact with people outside of specific groups all the
> time. Baring specific
> agreements to the contrary, why should any one group claim
> responsibility of my
> personal business?
>

> If that business is publicly bringing the project into disrepute, or
> harassing other community members and they approach us about it, then
> it becomes our business.
>
> If it's unrelated to PostgreSQL, then it's your personal business and
> not something the project would get involved in.

O.k. so this isn't clear (at least to me) within the CoC. I want to make
sure I understand. You are saying that if a community member posts on
Twitter that they believe gays are going to hell, reporting that to the
CoC committee would result in a non-violation UNLESS they referenced
postgresql within the post?

JD

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****