Re: pg_dump schema breakup

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump schema breakup
Date: 2006-08-18 18:29:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> We already have a highly selective and configurable restore mechanism,
> using the -L feature of pg_restore. Maybe there's a good special case
> for this particular split, but it is hardly undoable now.
>
> As for Naz' needs - I gave him a perl script I whipped up in few
> minutes to do the split he wanted - and I'm sure you could do the same
> in python ;-)
>
> cheers
>
> andrew
And very appreciative I am too. While I concede it is doable now, and I
could do this in Python as well, I do feel that a feature like this
would have wider use than may be apparent on a first glance.
Furthermore, I think that the simplicity of implementing it makes it
really a question of "why not" rather than "why".
- Naz