REFERENCE problem with parent_table

From: gustavo halperin <ggh(dot)develop(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: REFERENCE problem with parent_table
Date: 2006-08-15 17:39:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I need many tables of type "id" and "name", see below:
/ CREATE TABLE id_names (
id smallint CONSTRAINT the_id PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
name text CONSTRAINT the_name UNIQUE
) WITH OIDS;/
therefore I created these tables with the "LIKE" operator, see below:
/ CREATE TABLE like_id_1( LIKE id_names INCLUDING DEFAULTS ) WITH OIDS;
CREATE TABLE like_id_2 ( LIKE id_names INCLUDING DEFAULTS ) WITH OIDS;
CREATE TABLE like_id_3 ..../
Next I can't create a table with some column reference to any of the
last two tables, see below:
/ database=# CREATE TABLE ref_1 ( id_1 smallint CONSTRAINT the_id_1
REFERENCES like_id_1 (id) );
ERROR: there is no unique constraint matching given keys for
referenced table "like_id_1"/
Obviously if I use "id_names" instead of "like_id_1" every think is
fine but my idea is not create thousands of almost same tables with the
table name's like the only one difference. Then I thought to use the
operator "LIKE", but you see, there are a problem. Any Idea about what
must I do ??

Thank you,
Gustavo