[Pljava-dev] Notify/Listen

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Notify/Listen
Date: 2006-08-14 22:53:17
Lists: pljava-dev

Burtenshaw, John J. wrote:

> Has anyone ever used the Notify/Listen mechanism in pljava? How would
> you implement a client program that would do an sql Listen? Apparently
> according to the Postgresql docs there are functions that need to be
> called periodically to see if an event has occured or not (i.e.
> PQnotifies in libpq)

I doubt I can make LISTEN work in PL/Java. To my knowledge, there's no support for it in the
underlying SPI routines and implementing such support would imply a multi-threaded backend.

Keep in mind that PL/Java executes functions within a transaction. It can never start a
transaction on its own behalf. It is fundamentally different from a client.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren