Need to upgrade postgres 7.4 to 8.1

From: Karen Springer <karen(dot)springer(at)wulfsberg(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need to upgrade postgres 7.4 to 8.1
Date: 2006-08-04 14:35:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

I had the same problem last week. iconv cleaned up my dump file, but
removed characters I actually wanted (degree & micro symbols). I tried
changing the encoding to Latin1 in my pg_dumpall file. This did seem to
help some, though there was still a problem with some of the characters.
I finally ended up fixing the data. In our case I think the invalid
characters were created when we did transfers from Cadstar into Access &
then into Postgres. The characters were not true degree & micro UTF-8
characters, but junk that still looked ok in Access & Postgres 7.4.

Karen