Re: Impact of vacuum full...

From: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Impact of vacuum full...
Date: 2006-07-21 16:40:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:13, Erik Jones wrote:
>
>> Hello, I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the impact to
>> the entire database of running VACUUM FULL against a single table. The
>> reason I ask is that at company we work for we have a very large number
>> of queue type tables that fill up and empty out on a regular basis
>>

> HOLD ON! Do you empty them by doing something like
>
> delete from table
>
> with no where clause?
>
> If so, then try truncating the table. That will clean it completely and
> reclaim all the dead space, plus it's faster than delete anyway.
>
> If that doesn't help, look at scheduling more aggressive plain vacuums
> (no just autovacuum, but cron job vacuum on specific tables that you
> know have a high turnover).
>
> Vacuum full is basically admitting your regular vacuum schedule isn't /
> can't be aggressive enough.

No!!! The table is filled and entries are deleted one at a time, or in
groups, but definitely not all at once. So, then what is the
difference between scheduling regular vacuum on specific tables v.
scheduling vacuum full on specific tables? Basically, what I want to do
is to ensure that when I clean out a table row or rows at a time, the
space is immediately freed up.

--
erik jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
software development