[Pljava-dev] Manifest for examples.jar

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Manifest for examples.jar
Date: 2006-07-20 10:04:25
Lists: pljava-dev

Eric E wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> I am building PL/Java from the source along with some modifications
> I'm working on. The build succeeds, and I was able to deploy pljava.so
> and pljava.jar under JDK 1.5.07. In order to overcome the zlib issue, I
> switched to JDK 1.6b2, because I think I've read that Java 6 can read
> binaries compiled with Java 5 without problems. When I try to build
> using Java 6, the compile complains about a bunch of unimplemented
> methods in the JDBC interface definitions.

Yes, I've seen that. Apparently the latest 1.6 introduces the JDBC 4
standard. It in turn, adds some new methods. I'll look into that with
the intention to create dummy implementations that throw unsupported
feature exceptions for now. The actual JDBC 4 will have to wait a while
longer.

> I then attempted to run
> sqlj.install_jar('file:///......./examples.jar', 'samples', true);
>
> It starts, and I can actually remotely connect to the JVM, but the
> function dies with the exception:
>
> ERROR: java.sql.SQLException: No such class:
> org.postgresql.pljava.example.ComplexTuple

This is likely to be a consequence of earlier compilation errors.

> So the class is actually there. Any thoughts on why sql_install_jar
> can't find it?

It's there, but it's broken.

I suggest you revert to Java 1.5 for now and rebuild your postgresql
using 'configure --without-zlib' to avoid the zlib issue.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren