Re: Trying to connect to an Oracle instance...

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trying to connect to an Oracle instance...
Date: 2006-07-13 18:29:11
Lists: pgsql-general

A.M. wrote:
> On Thu, July 13, 2006 11:03 am, Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>>Spendius wrote:
>>>I've been trying to perform a connection to an Oracle DB for a while,
>>>to no avail. Here is what I get at my psql prompt: postdb=# Select
>>>dblink_connect('login','hostaddr=<host IP> port=1521 \
>>
>>If you are trying to connect to a Oracle DB, don't you need to be using
>>DBI Link instead of DBlink?
>>I thought DBLink was just for Postgresql databases?
>
> That's true. But why should dblink crash? That's a bug.

Umm, where does he say anything about a crash? I see this from the
original email:

> Here is what I get at my psql prompt:
> postdb=# Select dblink_connect('login','hostaddr=<host IP> port=1521 \
> dbname=orasid user=mylogin password=mypwd');
> ERROR: could not establish connection
> DETAIL: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.

That's a properly handled error. dblink is merely echoing the error
message propagated up by libpq. This doesn't look to me as though the
session *running* dblink crashed. Apparently libpq believes that the
*other end* of the connection was terminated unexpectedly, but
considering it was an Oracle instance that it was communicating with,
I'm not sure what it could/should do better. In any case, the Oracle
side of this connection is what "closed unexpectedly".

Joe