Re: Need a mentor, and a project.

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashish <abindra(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a mentor, and a project.
Date: 2009-12-15 20:31:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 11, 2009, at 8:44 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ashish wrote:
>>> I am thinking about starting with the following TODO item:
>>> --> Have EXPLAIN ANALYZE issue NOTICE messages when the estimated
>>> and actual row counts differ by a specified percentage.
>
>> I even have a sample patch you can use as a start, attached.
>
> IMO the hard part of the TODO item is to design a useful user interface
> for highlighting specific EXPLAIN entries (and NOTICE messages probably
> ain't it either). Getting the numbers is trivial.

What about prefixing explain output with line numbers? NOTICEs (or whatever mechanism) could then reference the line numbers.

Unfortunately, I think you'll be very hard-pressed to come up with a way to denote problems on the lines themselves, since horizontal space is already very hard to come by in complex plans.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net