Re: minimizing downtime when upgrading

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: "H(dot)J(dot) Sanders" <hjs(at)rmax(dot)nl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: minimizing downtime when upgrading
Date: 2006-06-23 11:30:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jim Nasby wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2006, at 7:42 AM, H.J. Sanders wrote:
>
>> The last 15 years we also used Informix and we never, never had to
>> unload/load
>> the database because of an upgrade.
>>
>> Perhaps somebody knows how they do the trick?
>

> Do they provide a migration/upgrade utility?

In the case of MS SQL Server the issue doesn't come up. Here are some
user experiences:

1) Create a database in MS SS 6
2) Upgrade software to MS SS 7
3) Use software

1) Create a database in MS SS 6
2) Backup database (closest analog is -Fc option of pg_dump)
3) Move backup to machine running MS SS 7
4) Attempt to restore. Program warns it will upgrade database and you
can't go back, proceed? You say yes.

Attachment Content-Type Size
ken.vcf text/x-vcard 186 bytes