[Pljava-dev] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

From: thomas at tada(dot)se (Thomas Hallgren)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date: 2006-06-16 14:06:57
Lists: pljava-dev

Eric,
You limit the postmaster to use 64M memory per session. That might be a
problem but it doesn't have to be. It all depends on what your server is
doing. I'm sure it's not the garbage collector (the first thing a JVM
does when it runs short of memory is to collect available garbage).

You have to provide more information. The server log is generally far
more useful then the output from the client that you provided here. The
exact version of the PL/Java, PostgreSQL, and Java VM might be helpful
too. And of course, some hint of what you do when the error occurs.

Common errors include storing tuple data in collections (and thereby
preventing them from being garbage collected). PL/Java 1.2 had a memory
leak that occured when you had functions that returned huge result sets.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren