Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables

From: Pepe TD Vo <pepevo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: cgerard999(at)gmail(dot)com, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables
Date: 2020-06-19 13:53:36
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Thank you sir and I am sorry for the typo not having "--" on password.  I did spelling out with --password=mypassword
>> echo select count(*) from tableA; | "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql" -U PSmasteruser -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 --password=mypassword

even -W for password>> echo select count(*) from tableA; | "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql" -U PSmasteruser -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 -W=mypassword

none of them work, still prompt me for password to type in.  I will look into the pgpassfile which I know it will fail again.

very respectfully,
Bach-Nga

No one in this world is pure and perfect.  If you avoid people for their mistakes you will be alone. So judge less, love, and forgive more.To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice though in as much as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman (Hermione Gingold)
**Live simply **Love generously **Care deeply **Speak kindly.*** Genuinely rich *** Faithful talent *** Sharing success

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 09:19:35 AM EDT, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> wrote:

On 6/19/20 4:12 AM, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
> thank you,   I tried that too, remove the quote around the echo and it
> prompt for password, as I mentioned no matter I put -P mypassword no
> matter what I spell out password=mypassword still argument error

Once again -P has nothing to do with password. Also --password does not
take an argument, it is meant to be used as is. The purpose is to force
a password prompt. This is all spelled out here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html

Also spelled out in above is:

" It is also convenient to have a ~/.pgpass file to avoid regularly
having to type in passwords. See Section 33.15 for more information."

And Section 33.15:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-pgpass.html

"The file .pgpass in a user's home directory can contain passwords to be
used if the connection requires a password (and no password has been
specified otherwise).  ..."

Read more at link for how to do that.