What default is - SET behavior

From: Zdenek Kotala <zdenek(dot)kotala(at)sun(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What default is - SET behavior
Date: 2006-05-17 13:44:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm interesting in problem "Allow commenting of variables in
postgresql.conf to restore them to defaults". And I need some clarify
of SET command behavior.

Res_value is defined in the source code as highest overriding setting
during startup (or reconfiguration) and it is used for store "default"
value. Hovewer documentation of SET command
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-set.html) talk about
"DEFAULT can be used to specify resetting the parameter to its default
value." And there is question what is the meaning of "default value".
Because I understood "default" like value coded in source code -
mentioned in the postgresql.conf.

Thanks Zdenek