Re: extremely slow when execute select/delete for certain

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: kah_hang_ang(at)toray(dot)com(dot)my
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extremely slow when execute select/delete for certain
Date: 2006-05-08 09:21:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Kah,

kah_hang_ang(at)toray(dot)com(dot)my wrote:

> I already vacuum those tables with full option but it still the same.
>
> What could be the possible causes of this problem?
> How can I solve it?
>
> CPU - Intel Xeon 2.40 GHz
> Memory - 1.5G
> Postgresql version: 7.2.2

First, you should consider to upgrade your PostgreSQL server to a newer
version, at least to 7.2.8 which fixes some critical bugs.

But it will be much better to upgrade to current 8.1 version, as I think
that your problem is caused by index bloat, and indices are handled much
better in 8.1.

Try recreating your indices using REINDEX command.

HTH,
Markus

Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS