Statistics and Indexes

From: postgresql(at)bryden(dot)co(dot)za
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Statistics and Indexes
Date: 2005-07-05 08:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I am from a MSSQL background and am trying to understand something about
statistics in PostgreSQL.

Question 1:
In MSSQL, if you create an index (and you are using MSSQL's default
settings) the Server will automatically create appropriate statistics for
you. Does this happen in PostgreSQL? Or should I explicitly create
statistics for every one of my indexes?

Question 2:
I believe ANALYZE keeps indexes and statistics up to date. How often
should this be run (assume that my DB has 200,000 new records daily)?

Thanks in advance
Craig