Re: giving users access to specific databases

From: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: giving users access to specific databases
Date: 2006-04-04 16:57:19
Lists: pgsql-general

postgresql(at)teska(dot)net wrote:

>>you should play around with phpPgAdmin for a while and let us know
>>specifically what we can help you with.

in pg_hba.conf you can set it so that users have access to any database
if they are in a group (or do we say "role" now?) that has the same name
as the database.

This is nifty because it lets you control everything after editing
pg_hba.conf only once. For each database create a group of the same
name. Give users access by putting them into the group, revoke access by
taking them out.

I also generally grant that particular group NO permissions, actual
permissions to work with tables are granted by membership in more
specialized groups.

>I've managed to figure out how to fix most of my user access problems, but
>I'm still having trouble limiting the list of databases users see when they
>log in through phpPgAdmin.
>
>I noticed in the config.inc.php file that I can set a user's view to only
>show the databases that they own (via the $conf['owned_only'] = true;
>parameter). What I would like to do is limit the users to seeing the
>databases for which they are a user for. For example I would like to set a
>parameter that was something like $conf['user_only'] = true. This will be
>particularly helpful for double checking which users have access to what
>databases and also to eliminate confusion for less technically adept users
>who would have to wade through all sorts of databases owned by other people
>on the shared server my hosting company provides.
>
>Thanks,
>Courtenay

>TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment Content-Type Size