Re: Wal -long transaction

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Wal -long transaction
Date: 2006-03-20 12:48:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Greg Stark wrote:

> Well it's worse than that. If you have long-running transactions that would
> cause rollback-segment-overflow in Oracle then the equivalent price in
> Postgres would be table bloat *regardless* of how frequently you vacuum.

Isn't that a bit pessimistic? In tables which mostly grow (as opposed
to deletes and updates) and where most inserts succeed (instead of
rolling back), I would have expected postgresql not to bloat
tables no matter how long my transactions last.

And it's been a while; but I thought transactions like that could
overflow rollback segments in that other database.