Re: \copy combine with SELECT

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jia ding <dingjia(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \copy combine with SELECT
Date: 2006-03-16 23:45:16
Lists: pgsql-general

jia ding wrote:
> yes, of couse COPY
>
> but,
> => copy test to 'test.txt';
> ERROR: must be superuser to COPY to or from a file
> HINT: Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. psql's \copy command
> also works for anyone.

Straight from the documentation:

Do not confuse COPY with the psql instruction \copy. \copy invokes COPY
FROM STDIN or COPY TO STDOUT, and then fetches/stores the data in a file
accessible to the psql client. Thus, file accessibility and access
rights depend on the client rather than the server when \copy is used.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-copy.html

Doesn't look like \copy lets you specify which fields to include though.

alive=# \d a
Table "public.a"
Column | Type | Modifiers
a | integer |