Re: Inserting é in psql - inv

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: CSN <cool_screen_name90001(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inserting é in psql - inv
Date: 2006-03-15 09:42:31
Lists: pgsql-general

CSN wrote:
> I created a new database with encoding UTF8, connected
> using psql, and ensured the client encoding is also
> UTF8 (Unicode). But when I try to insert characters
> like 'é', I get this error:
>
> ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE":
> 0xe9

Something isn't UTF-8, possibly your terminal settings?

If you have a text-editor that lets you set character-encoding then you
can try feeding the query into psql from a file. If that works then it's
your terminal.

I always have endless trouble with this sort of stuff myself, so you're
not alone.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd