Re: The server does not listen

From: Gerald Cheves <gcheves(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: manno_it(at)libero(dot)it
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Moreno Andreo <moreno(dot)andreo(at)evolu-s(dot)it>, Payal Singh <payal(at)omniti(dot)com>, "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The server does not listen
Date: 2017-10-17 05:31:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 10/16/2017 6:52 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM, <manno_it(at)libero(dot)it
> <mailto:manno_it(at)libero(dot)it>>wrote:
>
> -Pro-di-Mauro-Bonetti:~ mauro$ pg_ctl -D
> /Users/postgres/bin/pg_ctl start
>
> -bash: pg_ctl: command not found
>
> I'd suggest installing the database application (9.2) from scratch and
> get everything working with an empty database.  Then learn what the
> "data directory" is, find your old one, and replace the "data
> directory" that was created during the fresh installation with the
> data directory from the previous installation.
>
> As for the command you ran:
>
> The pg_ctl is apparently not in user "mauro"'s PATH
> The -D argument should point to the "data directory", not the pg_ctl
> executable (how did you even come to write that particular command?)
> Usually one does not run the database under a login user account but
> rather has "postgres" run it.  That the executable is under
> /Users/postgres supports this.
>
> Ideally you'd have an actual back-up and so after you install from
> scratch you can simply restore the backup into the running database
> instead of manipulation directories at the O/S level.
>
> David J.

For help locating your "data directory" try this

How do I find PostgreSQL's data directory?

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/1350/how-do-i-find-postgresqls-data-directory

And then you may have to change the PATH.

How to put psql on the path when using Postgres.app on OS X?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20928734/how-to-put-psql-on-the-path-when-using-postgres-app-on-os-x

--
siamo arrivati sani e salvi