Re: pg_dump ordering

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump ordering
Date: 2003-08-01 03:10:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Can someone tell me know what has to be done to pg_dump to make it dump
> things in the right order? Where should I start. The most important thing
> is getting types dumped before tables that use the type.

What I'd like to see it do is grab the dependency data in pg_depend and
do a topological sort using that. This leaves some issues still to be
resolved ... like what to do when dumping a pre-7.3 database ... but I
think it's the core of a maintainable solution.

IIRC, you can find some further discussion in the archives.