simple explain output.

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple explain output.
Date: 2006-02-20 04:03:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "not possible" but I'll ask just
in case.

Is there a way to simplify the output that comes from explain?

I'm writing a script to check my database logs to see whether I am
missing any indexes.

Basically the process goes like this:

- Find a select query in the logs
- Run it through the database using 'explain'
- Check whether it's using an index scan or "other"

Yes, I know not every query is going to use an index, but this will cut
down on the queries I have to check.

At the moment the explain output can get complicated to parse and
process, so I'm trying to think of another approach to use.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Chris.