Re: Best programming language / connectivity for best performance

From: John McCawley <nospam(at)hardgeus(dot)com>
To: Nico Callewaert <nico_callewaert(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best programming language / connectivity for best performance
Date: 2006-01-10 14:06:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I really wouldn't take relative DB performance into much consideration
when choosing a programming language for your project. I have found
that the actual Language/API overhead to be pretty inconsequential in
most of my projects. When my DB access is slow, I have found it is
almost always a problem with my query or the DB is just overloaded.

There is one exception I can think of, and that's doing bound controls
in VB through ODBC. I haven't done bound controls in VB for years and
years, so I don't even know if it's still in the language, but they're
crappy and you shouldn't use them. When I'm using a RAD tool like VB
etc. I *never* use design-level tools to handle my DB IO. When I write
a client side app, I manually handle my own DB IO and let the GUI simply
handle the user interface.