view of view

From: Keith Worthington <KeithW(at)NarrowPathInc(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Perform <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: view of view
Date: 2005-12-08 02:47:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi All,

I am working on an application that uses PostgreSQL. One of the
functions of the application is to generate reports. In order to keep
the code in the application simple we create a view of the required data
in the database and then simply execute a SELECT * FROM
view_of_the_data; All of the manipulation and most of the time even the
ordering is handled in the view.

My question is how much if any performance degradation is there in
creating a view of a view?

IOW if I have a view that ties together a couple of tables and
manipulates some data what will perform better; a view that filters,
manipulates, and orders the data from the first view or a view that
performs all the necessary calculations on the original tables?

--
Kind Regards,
Keith