Re: New user questions

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Walter Dnes <waltdnes(at)waltdnes(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New user questions
Date: 2005-11-25 06:14:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Walter Dnes wrote:

> I'm running PostgreSQL 8.0.3, the latest stable ebuild, on Gentoo linux.
>
> 1) Am I inviting any problems in linux by moving the directory
>/var/lib/postgresql to /home/postgresql, and then symlinking
>/home/postgresql back to /var/lib/postgresql? The reason for this is
>to avoid having databases, indexes, etc, physically ending up on my
>/dev/sda1 partition, which I want to reserve for the OS only.

No. But I would rather do an initdb to a different location and edit
your init.d script, but this is a personal choice and I have trouble
deciding which is better or why :-)

> 2) Although I have an AMD64 cpu. I chickened out and went for a 32-bit
>install. If/when I do migrate to 64-bit, can I keep my databases, or
>will I have to export/import them?

I don't know how architecture-specific the data format might be as it is
written to disk, in particular how alignment might be affected. To be
safe, plan on an export/import and take a dump of your cluster before
you do the upgrade :-)

> 3) Are there any free sample datasets and tutorials for users who are
>familiar with SQL and Oracle PL/SQL? I have no DBA experience, but I do
>write quite a few read-only Oracle SQL queries and PL/SQL programs at
>work, even though I'm not a CS. An Oracle-to-PostgreSQL comparison
>would be nice to see.

Take a look at the online docs. The tutorial is aimed mostly at SQL
newbies, but there are sections on migrating from Oracle.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting