Re: proposal - support tsv output format for psql

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - support tsv output format for psql
Date: 2020-12-23 16:07:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/23/20 10:13 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> After this second check, I think the new format is not necessary,
> because tsv in LO is not tsv, but it is cracked csv

I agree, I don't think this is a format we need to spent much time on.

If you set the quote to an unlikely character like ^A, the escape
character to '\', and the delimiter to TAB, COPY in CSV mode will give
you something pretty close in many cases. Embedded newlines will still
give you trouble.

cheers

andrew

--