pgSQL, executing generic query

From: Alessandro Busato <alessandro(dot)busato(at)elettra(dot)trieste(dot)it>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgSQL, executing generic query
Date: 2005-10-31 17:43:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
I should to write a function which has one text parameter ;
throught this parameter a query will be passed to the function;
in the function the query will be executed and the result put in the
record type;
the problem is:
how can I to get the columns value if the query is not defined a priori?
i.e. I can't use the contruct "record".fieldname

I've searched everywhere but nothing.
is it possible with pgSQL? have you any suggest?

Thanks,
Alessandro